Join the Posse
Ready to Volunteer?
Do you want to serve your community with your horse? The St. Joseph County Sheriff’s Posse is currently accepting applications for new members.
Each posse member is required to provide their own horse, tack, boarding, feed, truck, and trailer. All duty-related tack, uniforms, and law enforcement equipment is provided by the Posse.
Due to the nature and responsibility of this work, becoming a member of the Posse is a significant undertaking. However, our members find the work to be extremely rewarding.
All members must be 21 years of age or older.
Have questions before you apply? Contact us today.
How It Works
- Submit Application to Posse (Preliminary Application)
- Interview with current Posse Members
- Riding Interview
- Submit St. Joseph County Police Department Application
- Thorough Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination (Conditional Offer)
- Pre-Employment Drug Test
- 40-Hour Pre-Basic Training
- Firearms Qualification
- Defensive Tactics (DT)
- Emergency Vehicle Operations (EVO)
- Mounted Police Training